Thursday, January 19, 2017

On the eve of the Inauguration

Here we are on the eve of the inauguration of the 45th President of the United States of America.  It is my ninth one, (my tenth President) although I don't remember the first and barely remember the second, historical accounts aside.

When I was a child, my parents - no one's parents - discussed who they were voting for.  It was private personal information that just wasn't shared.  So as not to start an argument?  To not be judged for being Democrat or Republican?

I appreciate that I'm old enough to understand what a mammoth, awesome job it is to be the leader of the free world.  I couldn't do it, but I vote for who I think can.  I don't just vote, I pray.  I've prayed that the best candidate win, that they be filled with guidance and intuition, that they love their country.  My job isn't over just because one has been chosen.  I now pray that our new president continues to be filled with guidance and intuition, and loves their country.

I have a great interest in history, with some high school teachers to thank for that.  Mr. Defillipo taught Geography.  Although I couldn't have verbalized it back then, I had an ever-growing want to understand more about my placement in the world.  I innately knew there was significance to living in Steelton, Pennsylvania, United States of America, North American Continent, Western Hemisphere above the 180th Parallel.  I think I had geography in 10th Grade, and I still remember Mr. Defillipo telling us, "Folks, (he always called us Folks), you're going to see a major world war in your lifetimes."  He knew what he was talking about.

I'm having these thoughts on this important night.  We're still a very young country, just a baby really, with so much potential.  I love Her.  I wish everyone loved Her and showed it in their thoughts, words and deeds.  Ain't no doubt, I love this Land.  God bless the USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment